Welcome to the friendly village church in Port Williams, Nova Scotia, CANADA.
We are an ecumenical, inclusive congregation, extending open membership and an open Communion table to all followers of Jesus Christ, and a full welcome to all into the life of our church, regardless of sexual or gender identity. Our worship is rich in a variety of music and forms, following the Revised Common Lectionary through the Church Year. Our life together is marked by many opportunities for learning, service, and fellowship. We are a member of the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches, the Canadian Association for Baptist Freedoms (formerly the ABF), and the Wolfville Area Inter-Church Council.
We warmly invite you to join us for worship on Sunday mornings, and for any of the activities in the life of our church. For more information about our church, or just to be in touch, please send us an email or give us a call anytime.
May the peace of Christ, the power of the Spirit, and the love of our Creator God be felt in your life today, and always.
Tides and Apples
Two things have shaped the fortunes of our village more than anything else – tides and apples. Port Williams is one of the best places on earth to see the vertical rise and fall of the World’s Highest Tides. The water level at high tide can be as much as 16 metres (52 feet) higher than low tide! And since the establishment of our community, the growing, preparing, packing, and shipping of apples from our port have fueled our local economy. Today, tourism is a growing industry with visitors coming from all over the world to enjoy the beauty of our valley, to marvel at the majesty of our tides, and to enjoy the taste of our fruit and the warmth of our hospitality.
A Brief History
Founded in 1868, the Port Williams United Baptist Church was birthed by a Free Baptist Fellowship in a neighbouring community and grew out of the vision of a lay woman and the Sunday School movement. This church has long prided itself on being welcoming and inclusive, welcoming people of all denominational backgrounds into full membership. Our tall white spire is easily visible from a great distance, and the church’s location in the very centre of the village reflects its role as a major focal point for many community activities. First meeting in a carpenter shop, the congregation has grown to have excellent facilities of its own, including Lockwood Hall, built in the 1950’s to provide a place for the youth of our community to gather. A major expansion of the church’s facilities was carried out several years ago, and officially opened in January of 2000. This provided our building with wheelchair accessibility (lift), a brand-new kitchen, nursery, and library, and increased space for Christian education activities. Our church seeks to minister to all ages – from infants to seniors – with a wide range of programs led by dedicated leaders. We maintain a very significant emphasis on children and youth, in particular.